Somehow I love national kitchens. I think it is much more in them than in modern recipes. Dishes that a nation cooks for centuries should have something very special.
Today I want to post a recipe that I like to cook over and over again. Those of you who are on a diet, don’t look. It can be dangerous.
Have you ever heard of Shakar para? No? I haven’t heard of it too, till many years ago my passion for baking didn’t lead me to a website where I could found hundreds of … yummy!
Shakar para is an indian delight made of dough and fried in oil.
You can find the original recipe here: https://bit.ly/2Vr4Rva
I changed the original recipe for my taste. And made it more russian way. There is a similar delight in russian kitchen called brushwood, because it reminds on broken brushwood.
– 1 glass of white wheat flour
– 1/4 glass of semolina
– 2 tbsp of oil
– 1/2 glass of water
– oil for frying (I prefer rapeseed oil. It is very clear and light; don’t have heavy taste and smell)
– 1/2 orange juice (I add 1/2 glass of water too, if necessary)
– 3/4 glass of sugar
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
– 1/2 teaspoon cardamon (better in powder than in seeds)
– 3 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- In a bowl mix the flour and semolina, add oil. Mix good.
2. Add water. (lukewarm)
3. Knead a dough. Add more flour or water, if necessary.
4. Enfold in a foil and leave for 30 minutes. (not in the fridge)
5. After 30 minutes, cut the dough in 4 pieces.
6. Roll each piece out, not too thin and not too thick. I would say 5 mm is enough. Pierce with a fork.
7. Cut in shapes you like.
8. Heat the oil in a pot. Fry dough pieces till they turn golden. Turn them with a fork during frying.
1. In a pot mix juice (and water if necessary), sugar and spices and simmer on medium heat till the sirup turns thicker. Then remove from flame and leave aside untill cool.
2. Add coconut and stir good.
3. Then let the pieces take a sirup bath.
4. Let them dry good. (Couldn’t take better photo)
5. And enjoy
They really look like brushwood. My Mom said they are good without sugar too.