As a child I hated meat. Really, I couldn’t eat it. For me it was so tasteless, disgusting. Then as an adult I learned to love dishes with meat and to cook them.
Today I wanna introduce to you my own version of a dish from azeri kitchen. In fact, Azerbaijan is my home country and its kitchen is the most delicious in the world, for me at least.
In original recipe you choose beef or lamb meat, but I made my own version with chicken. I love it, because it is dietary and tasty. also I added much more vegetables than in the original recipe.
– 200 gr of chicken filet for mince or you buy ready
– 1 white cabbage
– 2 onions
– 2 carrots
– 1 bell pepper
– coriander bunch
– 3 or 4 tomatoes
– 3 tbsp round-grain rice
– 1 chili
– 3 teaspoon salt
– curcuma powder
– caraway powder
– olive oil
– 1 or 2 glasses of water
How to make:
1. Take-off the cabbage leaves and wash them. It is better you buy a big one. You need only big leaves.
2. Boil water in a pot, turn to the lowest heat. Add the cabbage leaves, cover and let it simmer till the leaves are transparent. Let them cool.
3. Make a mince or if you buy ready you spare your time. Cut onions very small or I prefer to grind them in the mincer too.
4. Grate carrots finely and add to the mince.
5. Wash rice and add to the mince.
6. Cut coriander and add to the mince.
7. Peel bell pepper and 2 tomatoes. Cut them and the chili pepper very finely and add to the mince. Don’t add the seeds of tomatoes, only the flesh. This chili wasn’t hot enough for my taste, so I added the seeds too.
8. Mix good. Then add salt, curcuma, caraway and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
9. Take a leave, put 1 or 2 tbsp mince on it and wrap. The amount of mince depends on the size of your leave. Look at the photos how I’m doing this.
10. Wrap all your leaves and put them in the pot. Cut tomatoes and add them with 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 glasses of water.
11. First, bring to the boil on a medium heat. Then turn the heat to the lowest and simmer for 40-50 minutes. I prefer basmati-rice as a side dish.
And Enjoy 🙂