I want to continue posting my most lovely recipes and to introduce to you the kitchen of my homecountry Azerbaijan. Today I want to post a recipe of my fave dish ever. It is a yogurt soup with rice and herbs called Dovğa (Dovga).
Since I can remember I loved this soup. When I was a child I wanted eat only it. And still it is for me the most tasty dish. Some eat it with chickpeas and meatballs, some only the soup. I prefer the soup.
- 2 tbsp of round grain rice
- 1 full teaspoon of flour
- 1 egg
- 400-500 g of plain yogurt
- 300-400 ml of water (cool)
- 3-5 garlic cloves
- dill & coriander bunches
- fresh or dried mint leaves
How to make:
1. Wash rice and put it in a bowl. Add flour and mix good together.
2. Add egg and mix good.
3. Add yogurt and mix.
4. Add water. At this step you can choose you want your soup rather liquid or thick. For liquid add 400 ml of water. For thick less than 300 ml. It depends also on the consistency of your yogurt. If it is liquid add less water.
5. Put the bowl on the heat.
6. The most difficult part. The main product in the soup is yogurt and it can curdle from the heat. To avoid this you should keep stirring the whole time from putting your pot on the heat till the soup boils.
7. Put the pot on the stove/cooker and turn to the highest heat. Start to stir. Use better the long wooden spoon.
8. After 10 minutes, if you see the first steam, turn to the middle heat and keep stirring the whole time.
9. When you’ll see first blows turn to the low heat and keep stirring. When the soup finally boils (it can happen after 15 minutes from start of cooking) stop sirring and turn the heat to the lowest. Let it simmer.
10. Meanwhile cut the garlic cloves in pieces and add into the soup. Stir the soup from time to time.
11. Taste the rice. If it is ready, add herbs (dill, coriander and mint) and salt.
Yummyyyyyyyyy! I am fond of it!